8/8/11

Why I, An Agnostic, Read The Bible


For an Agnostic I sure have a lot of Bibles.  I have an Oxford Study Bible, an NLT Bible someone gave Tim, and The Bible App on my phone.  I don’t just have Bibles, I also read them.  This may sound weird for someone who is not Christian but let me explain.

First of all the Bible can be entertaining. There are lots of stories to suit different moods.  Stories about intrigue, war, lust, greed (hey this sounds a little like a soap opera).  There is even a section which is erotic (not that I read the Song of Solomon much).  The Bible also addresses problem solving skills such as how King Solomon decided to cut a baby in two to figure out who the real mother was (still sounds like a soap opera).  Why do you think they made so many movies out of these stories (many of which seem to star Charlton Heston).

Also when I come across trolls in real life who claim to be Christian, but are really asinine bigots, I like to be able to beat them with their own biblical throw-downs.  Oh you’re really going to quote Leviticus when trying to justify why gays don’t deserve basic civil rights, well let me tell you what else is in there you choose to ignore.  (Sadly many Christians seem to only follow what they like…religion is not a buffet where you get to pick and choose; it is a microwave dinner where you get what you get.)

P.S. Evangelicals, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Mormons I like that you’re passionate about your faith…but I’m not buying what you’re selling.  Please stop knocking on my door or I will just have to keep telling you I am a Satanist to scare you away.  Just thought you should know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...